This past Sunday, at 15:27 Deutsche Bahn time, I arrived in
Hamburg’s central train station on my way to revisit Joni’s family, who had so
graciously hosted me in 2008 as part of GAPP(German American Partnership
Program, Joni visited me for 4 weeks in the US, I visited him for 3 weeks in
Germany). About an hour later, Joni’s father met me at Poppenbüttel train
station and drove me back to their home, where I was also happy to see Joni’s
mother again. Almost nothing had changed in the past four years. Sure, the
parents and Joni’s younger siblings (who I would meet later at midnight when
they arrived back from a trip to Taize) had gotten older and some little things
were different around the house. But for the most part, I was in the same
comfortable atmosphere that I remember from high school, only this time, we
spoke auf Deutsch! It was really a
special experience because although I got to know the family the last time by
speaking in English, the most intricate parts of the family members’
personalities, or I think really anyone’s personalities, only comes out in
their native tongue. At the same time, the family seemed almost honored in a
way that I had continued to study German and all of this just made for a really
good two days in Hamburg. Sleeping in, attending a talk given by the mother
about life in former East Germany, playing Mario Cart- things don’t get much
better than that! Vielen Dank Joni’s
Familie!
On Tuesday afternoon, I took a small detour on my way back
to Berlin to get coffee with a Midd friend named Chris, who is currently doing
a Fullbright project in Lübeck. He gave me a tour of the quaint little city and
we caught up on things since we had last seen each other in Middlebury. Last
spring, Chris gave me a lot of really valuable advice before I embarked on my
semester in Mainz, since he spent a year there during his undergraduate years,
so part of the reason I wanted to visit was to let him know that everything had
turned out well with the Wintersemester.
More importantly though, he is just a great guy and I was sad to have to say
goodbye to him to make my journey back to Berlin. Danke für einen wunderbaren Nachmittag Chris!
So, now I just have 4 days left in Berlin, INCLUDING TODAY! I’m off to the Jewish Museum now. Danke furs Lesen und bis nächstes Mal!
PS- This is really funny! (Thanks for sharing this on FB
Talel)
Go to Google Translate;
Copy this text:
pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk bschk pv bschk bschk pv kkkkkkkkkk bschk bschk bschk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk bschk pv bschk bschk pv kkkkkkkkkk bschk bschk bschk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk bschk pv bschk bschk pv kkkkkkkkkk bschk bschk bschk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk bschk pv bschk bschk pv kkkkkkkkkk bschk bschk bschk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk bschk pv bschk bschk pv kkkkkkkkkk bschk bschk bschk
Pick German as the 'from' language; Press the 'Listen'-button
pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk bschk pv bschk bschk pv kkkkkkkkkk bschk bschk bschk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk bschk pv bschk bschk pv kkkkkkkkkk bschk bschk bschk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk bschk pv bschk bschk pv kkkkkkkkkk bschk bschk bschk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk bschk pv bschk bschk pv kkkkkkkkkk bschk bschk bschk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk bschk pv bschk bschk pv kkkkkkkkkk bschk bschk bschk
Pick German as the 'from' language; Press the 'Listen'-button
No comments:
Post a Comment